The following is instructions on how to enable the Event Log under Mono running in GNU/Linux.
In short Mono writes to log files within /var/lib/mono/eventlog if the environment variable MONO_EVENTLOG_TYPE is set to local.
- Create the following directory :/var/lib/mono/eventlog
- Permission the directory so that your user can create files within the directory. Seeing as this functionality is only required when I am using MonoDevelop, I changed the ownership & group to my that of the user I log in with.
- Set Environment Variable MONO_EVENTLOG_TYPE to local. I did this by adding the following into the file /etc/environment: MONO_EVENTLOG_TYPE=local
- Please note /etc/environment is for Debian based Linux only
- Load environment variable from above by rebooting. Only kidding what do you think this is windows? Run: . /etc/profile
- Test environment variable is set with: env | grep MONO
- Or Test with: echo $MONO_EVENTLOG_TYPE